Now It's Paper Bags

I never appreciated the brown paper bags of my youth. First and foremost they were sturdy.  No handles on those babies. I had to hug that filled bag for dear life while walking from the neighborhood deli to my home. Those bags lived second lives from lunch sacks (didn't matter what size it was) to garbage pail liners. The best looking bags became my schoolbook covers. 

Enter plastic bags. They said they would be better than paper and save trees. I know I was not alone in thinking plastic grocery bags were the greatest thing since sliced white bread. Well, just like white bread, they seemed to have caused more trouble than anyone ever imagined. So we're back to brown bags (and brown bread for that matter).

Now it's paper bags, for a price. I'm not here to debate the cost, I'll accept it. But what I find difficult to understand is how can I can stand at a checkout counter with numerous items of various sizes and not be offered a bag. I know some people bring their own bags. Good for them. I'm not there yet, except for when I plan a big haul at the grocery store. 

Sometimes when I ask for a bag I feel like I'm imposing. Of course the clerk is usually very kind and answers with, "No problem." (Well, it is kind of a problem for me....I have twelve items here and two hands.)  When they apologetically tell me they have to charge for the bag, I end up trying to make them feel better about the whole thing. If a store doesn't charge for the bag, I feel like I should remind them and pay anyway.  One more thing.....because of Covid, some stores rather not pack your items if you bring your own bags. When did this get so complicated? 

When I can, I try to take my purchases in hand and just leave, no bag necessary. I tried this at Stewart's the other day and felt kind of proud and hip in an"I don't need a bag" kind of way. Then I realized I was walking rather briskly to my car, probably because I felt like I was stealing. 

Some habits die hard. Bag please.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What about my Brooklyn accent?

That Lasagna

My Birthday Party