Cake, Lucy and Love

 Today is my grand-dog Lucy's birthday. Lucy is 2 years old and during those two years, she has managed to transform me into a dog person. I love Lucy and because of her, I look at other dogs in new and different ways. However, I am convinced Lucy is special. She has eyes that look into your soul and she knows, she just knows. 

For her birthday, I offered to bake her a cake. She knew I would.  I googled dog birthday cakes and more recipes came up than you could imagine. I settled on one that had ingredients I happened to have in my cupboard. It also sounded like something I would enjoy eating too (yep, I'm that kind of dog person). The recipe called for flour, honey, peanut butter, egg and applesauce; all good stuff. I whipped up some fresh cream for a dollop of "frosting" and bought a number 2 candle to top it off. Then we celebrated! 

Even though I have that grandma tendency to overfeed those I love, I gave her a small piece to enjoy and my daughter froze the rest for more treats later on.  

This may seem like silly antics typical of those of us who love our family dogs.  But there is so much more to it. Celebrating Lucy's birthday is an exercise in gratitude for this living creature who has no other purpose than to love us unconditionally. So we love her right back, with cake and more. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What about my Brooklyn accent?

That Lasagna

My Birthday Party